Saturday, January 2, 2010

101 in 1001 List

Sorry for two boring posts in a row. First my 2009 in review survey and then my 101 in 1001 list. But I just don't have it in me to write a real post today and this seemed like an easy way to keep posting without really having to do too much work since this list was made a year ago!

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on my part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as new year’s resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focussed. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. It presents the opportunity to learn and makes success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals.
5. Keep your goals in sight

My List as it stands today:
1. Master making a pie from scratch. Crust and all.
2. Eat at a restaurant alone.
3. Scrapbook my Paris and London trips.
4. Give blood.
5. Try at least 10 new foods. (4 down, 6 to go.)
6. Paint the downstairs of the house (or have it painted).
7. Learn to bake bread.
8. Donate old furniture to charity.
9. Buy reusable shopping bags and use those at the grocery store.
10. Go to the spa and get a massage.
11. Buy 5 "just because" gifts for people. (2 down, 3 to go.)
12. Lose 25 pounds.
13. Join the gym.
14. Go apple picking.
15. Finish a crossword puzzle without any help.
16. Make dinner 5/7 times a week instead of ordering out.
17. Get a promotion.
18. Brush up on my Spanish. (Learn the basics I would need if I were to go to a Spanish speaking country.)
19. Then go to Spain.
20. Have a margarita with N.
21. Grow an herb garden.

22. Go to Vegas.
23. Spend a day wandering around an art museum like I used to in high school/college.
24. Find a pair of jeans that fits me perfectly.
25. Go to the dentist.
26. Have a baby.
27. Plant flowers in the spring/summer and keep them alive for the season.
28. Have my girlfriends over for brunch.
29. Go to mass at least 3 Sundays out of 4 a month.
30. Read 100 books. (Not all just fluffy fiction either!!)
31. Be kind to people even when I angry with them at least three times.
32. Vote in non-presidential elections. (1 down 2 to go)
33. Stop taking the elevator at work.
34. Start going to the dermatologist every six months again. (I have A LOT of moles.)
35. Clean out my closet and donate all clothes that don't fit, etc.
36. Build a snowman with A.
37. Write thank you cards for all gifts received (even if from best friends who don't "require" a TY card).
38. Buy something fabulous at Anthropologie when I lose weight. (No matter the cost.)
39. Take my mom out for a fun day and try to avoid getting annoyed with her.
40. Pay off credit cards.
41. Buy a grill and patio set and use it regularly in the summer (hopefully enjoying the flowers I've planted and kept alive).
42. Have a "horrible movies that we love anyway" marathon with my brother.
43. Call home to talk to my dad instead of just my mom.
44. Invite friends to stay with us.
45. Learn how to find the Big Dipper without any help.
46. Learn how to understand the stock market.
47. Read a news website every day. (AND NOT THE ENTERTAINMENT SECTION!)
48. Go to a farmer's market.
49. Learn to cut my cat's nails.
50. Fix wall in bathroom.
51. Clean out garage so I can park my car in it.
52. Finish the basement.
53. Reconnect with one old friend that I've lost touch with.
54. Go to one book reading by an author.
55. Learn to make pierogi from scratch from my mom.
56. Get cholesterol checked.
57. Buy a fireproof box for important papers.
58. Use our fine china at least once a year. (2009 down, 2010 and 2011 to go)
59. Replace smoke alarms in our house.
60. Eat at four new places in Philly. (New to me, not new to the city.)
61. Improve my Polish vocabulary by reading one thing in Polish a week.
62. Accept a compliment without pointing out things that I did that weren't right
63. Visit the Barnes Museum before it moves to Philly (if they are still planning to move it, well visit it either way).
64. Bring champagne next time a friend has great news to celebrate.
65. Try absinthe.
66. Find a way to display Adam's shot glass collection.
67. Use my silicone bakeware. Don't be afraid, just take the plunge.
68. Have the courage to speak up next time someone is saying something unPC.
69. Spend one weekend without any internet access at all.
70. Do a 5K walk/run and raise money for it. (Raise at least $200 for it - it's my 1st one so I don't know how much to expect so I'll start slow.)
71. No snooze button for one week.
72. Buy one piece of art.
73. Have the mole on my scalp removed. (Have been too scared to do this for a while.)
74. See Wicked on Broadway.
75. Go to a concert with A.
76. Start a new family tradition with A.
77. Get my wedding band re-dipped. (It's white gold.)
78. Get all broken chains fixed by jeweler.
79. Start replacing our lightbulbs with energy efficient ones.
80. Take a bubble bath.
81. Request my credit report.
82. Unpack those last 5 or 6 boxes that have been stuffed in a closet since we moved in to our house.
83. Take a makeup lesson.
84. Play mini-golf, unsarcastically.
85. Go to the Hershey spa. (I've had a gift card forever. It's probably losing money by now.)
86. Buy two extra umbrellas and keep them stashed at work and in my car
87. Ask to speak to a manager to compliment good service rather than to complain.
88. Decorate every cake I make, even if it's just a cake I made for us to snack on.
89. Go to an Oktoberfest.
90. Go to a music festival.
91. Call the number to opt out of credit card offers.
92. Get a pedicure once a month during sandal season.
93. Sew the button back onto my bright pink coat. (Learn how to properly sew a button first.)
94. Send my grandmother some money.
95. Go to DC to see the cherry blossoms.
96. Spend a day without speaking.
97. Decorate outside of house for Christmas.
98. Buy/make curtains for the bedroom.
99. Get fitted for a bra. Oprah says I'm wearing the wrong size.
100. Master eating with chopsticks.
101. Make a new list of 101 things to do in the next 1001 days.

Start date: January 10, 2009
End date: October 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment